Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
I am a software developer and research designer with two decades of
experience bridging the worlds of data management and the Web. I have
worked in academia, startups, corporations and government. I thrive
while working in agile, highly collaborative teams that focus on
knowledge sharing and a commitment to sustainability.
- web technology: APIs, REST, linked data, web archiving
- data analysis: Pandas, SciPy, Spark, Presto
- infrastructure: Linux, AWS, Docker, Ansible, Terraform
- databases: PostgreSQL, MariaDB, Redis, ElasticSearch, Solr,
- visualization: D3, Plotly, vis.js, Gephi
- practice: agile, automated testing, continuous integration,
Senior Software Developer
Digital Library Systems and Services
- Web archive creation, preservation and access
- Digital repositories, data preservation
- Web services (REST) / Service design
10/2021 - 02/2023
- Requirements and use case gathering
- Technical writing for data specifications
Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities
University of Maryland
08/2014 - 12/2021
- Linked Data publishing (Python, NodeJS)
- Sustainable data preservation workflows (AWS)
- Automated testing and continuous integration (GitHub)
- Configuration management (Git, Docker, Ansible)
- Agile requirements gathering & project management
data science (Python, Pandas, Spark)
The Brookings Institution
June 2021 - September 2021
- Social media data collection and ETL (Twitter, Reddit, Python)
- Network analysis and visualization (Python, React, vis.js)
- Report writing and research data publishing
National Institute of Standards and Technology
August 2018 - August 2021
- Conducted a multi-year field study to analyze data acquisition
methods used in building the world’s largest public archive of computer
- Software development and research design for data data preservation
packaging formats (Python, Git, Jupyter, PostgreSQL, BagIt, DFXML,
Information Technology Specialist
Library of Congress
03/2006 - 08/2014
- Digital preservation and repository software design and development
(Python, Java, MySQL)
- Lead software developer on the National Digital Newspaper
Project (Django, MySQL)
- Created a web based quality assurance tool for handling high volume
image digitization projects
- Social media archiving (Twitter)
- Designed and implemented the Library of
Congress Linked Data Service
- Specification writing and testing W3C
George Washington University
10/2013 - 12/2014
- Django Web Development
- Voyager ILS integration (Oracle)
- Serial Solutions Summon API integration
Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies
09/2013 - 06/2014
- Web data harvesting (Python)
- Data packaging and publishing (Git, AWS)
San Francisco, CA
01/2013 - 10/2013
- Development of the open source Annotator and Annotator Store
- Design and implementation of [cross format annotation] annotation
- Functional/unit testing (Selenium, Pytest, Travis-CI,
Montclair, NJ 11/2011 - 04/2012
- Django software development
- AWS (EC2, RDS, Route 53)
- Google Books API harvesting
- Google, Facebook, Twitter social media integration
- Automated testing and continuous integration (Jenkins)
Yale School of Medicine
New Haven, CT
07/2005 - 12/2005
- Python object oriented design
- Automated testing
- Implemented a reporting framework
- Quixote, Pylucene, MySQL, Red Hat administration
Senior Software Engineer
07/2002 - 03/2006
- Web service design and implementation
- Java, PHP and Perl software development
- Automated testing and performance tuning
- Database administration (Oracle, SQL Server)
- XML metadata harvesting and ingest
- Requirements gathering and project planning
Performix Chicago IL
02/2004 - 04/2005
- Object oriented design
- Refactored large Perl codebase
- Perl, Apache, mod_perl, DB2
Queens Borough Public Library
New York, NY
06/2004 - 05/2005
- Character encoding conversion
- Controlled vocabulary mining
- Perl data processing training
Notre Dame University
South Bend IN
06/2004 - 12/2004
- Training in object oriented programming and unit testing
- High volume metadata harvesting
- Guidance and implementation search technologies
- Ported Java Common Query Language parser to Perl
Senior Software Engineer
New York NY
02/2000 - 07/2002
- Team lead in a group of 8 programmers
- Developed data processing infrastructure for Fortune 500
- Designed/developed real time reporting system
- Creation and maintenance of web service API
- Expertise in SMTP and HTTP protocols
- Web services development
- Technical representative for partners and sales
- Networking and systems administration as required
Old Dominion University
04/1998 - 02/2000
- SGML and XML data processing for the VIVA Consortium
- Created current awareness system to alert students/faculty to new
items in their field of interest.
- ILS and OCLC metadata workflow management
Visiting Assistant Professor University of Illinois
08/1996 - 03/1998
- Web development (ASP, SQL Server)
- Collection development and cataloging in Sociology and Political
- Preservation of 19th century criminology pamphlet collection
- Managed reference services in the Social Science Library
These are some projects and experiments where I’ve been directly
involved in the technical development.
Democracy, and Digitality. In Teaching Demagoguery and Democracy:
Rhetorical Pedagogy in Polarized Times. November, 2021.
intervention on social media: Examining cyberbullying and reactions to
systemic racism. The Brookings Institution. October, 2021.
Machines: Archival Appraisal and the Genealogies of Use. PhD
Dissertation. University of Maryland. December, 2020.
Talk in Web Archives. Archivaria. May, 2020.
- What We Talk
about When We Talk about Archiving the Web. American Archivist.
Circulation on the Web: The Vine-Tweets Dataset. Cultural Analytics.
and Agenda-Setting in Wikileaks’ #PodestaEmails Release.
Information, Communication & Society. 2019
Practices in Web Archives. SocArXiv Papers, 2018.
and Tear Gas: Book Review. Internet Histories, 2017.
and the death of Michael Brown on Twitter: #BlackLivesMatter, #TCOT, and
the evolution of collective identities. Ethnic and Racial Studies,
- #sayhername: a
case study of intersectional social media activism. Ethnic and
Racial Studies, 40(10).
- Bots, Seeds and People: Web
Archives as Infrastructure. Proceedings of the 2017 ACM Conference
on Computer Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing, CSCW
Transparency. The Source. April, 2015.
- MJ no more: Using
Concurrent Wikipedia Edit Spikes with Social Network Plausibility Checks
for Breaking News Detection. 2013.
- Linking Things on the Web:
A Pragmatic Examination of Linked Data, 2013.
- Key Choices in the Design
of Simple Knowledge Organization System (SKOS), 2013.
- Library Linked
Data Final Report, W3C Incubator Group Report, October 2011.
- SKOS Simple Knowledge
Organization System Primer, W3C Working Group Note, August 18th,
SKOS and Linked Data, Proceedings of the International Conference on
DublinCore and Metadata Applications, 2008.
Your Nose to the Web of Data, Information Standards Quarterly,
- Building OAI-PMH
Harvesters With Net::OAI::Harvester Ariadne, no. 38, Jan 2004.
Expanding the Horizons of MARC21, Library Hi Tech, v. 22, no. 1,
- A Consortial
Approach to Cooperative Cataloging and Authority Control: The Virtual
Library of Virginia Experience, Resource Sharing and Information
Networks, v. 16, no. 1, 2003, p. 33-53.
Homage to Perl (PHP), The Perl Review, January, 2003.
- MARC it your way: MARC.pm, Information Technology and Libraries,
Access to Periodicals: A Database Solution, Library Collections
Acquisitions and Technical Services, v. 24, no. 2, 2000, p. 33-44.
- Chaos–Show Me the
Metadata, Against the Grain, v.11, no.1, 1998.
to Social Work/Welfare on the Net, C&RL News, v.59, no. 3, 1998,
- PhD, College of Information Studies, University of Maryland,
- MLS, School of Communications, Information and Library Science,
Rutgers University, 1995-1996.
- BA English and American Literature, Rutgers University,